ABOUT

About


I am a Ghanaian writer and artist who explores gender based art about the art muse, roots of the artist's psycho-social transformation through race, habitation of a city (New York), by using collaborative interventions in poetry, theater and performance.

I started as a playwright and director at The Riant Theater, writing and directing One-Acts and showcases. These allowed for other credits such as casting director, light and sound person for the stage. My full length play, Alligator Pass, was nominated for the Arnold Weissberger Award. This play was presented in different forms; traditional, goth and black. The last of which featured an all-black cast for the celebration of Martin Luther King's birthday.

As press officer at the Eickholt Gallery, I wrote about the gallery's artists for articles published in NY Arts Magazine, among others. At the Eickholt Gallery I presented my paintings and drawings in group shows. My role as director in the gallery's affiliation with the Liverpool Biennial, led me to formally collaborate with artists in the cultural initiative, Transvoyeur. Our projects included Gender, Space, Art and Architecture, a video presentation featuring me and artist, Daiva Gauryte. I was rewarded with my One-Man Show, From New York to Liverpool To Back Again. I became New York representative of Transvoyeur. A position which inspired my blog, Black Cocteau.

As writer and photographer, I collaborated with artist, Dianne Bowen, on the project, Dismember the Night. We explored and originated the genre, thread poetry, and were one of the firsts to have a selfie show, an exhibition at Tribes Gallery.

As writer, I have published short stories with Three Room Press' NYC 1 and NYC 2, as well as poems with Great Weather for Media's The Understanding Between Foxes and Light, Full of Crow Press, Maintenant 10, Anti Heroin Chic, among others. As performer, I have participated in the shows, What the Hell is Love? and The Loser Project, at Cornelia Street Cafe. I have collaborated with writer, researcher, Nehal El-Hadi for swifts and slows and musician and video artist, Renee LoBue for swifts and slows. As writer, I have written articles and done interviews for Whitehot Magazine, Armseye and Gainsayer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PRESS

PRESS

ART